Wednesday, 14 December 2011

It's never easy, is it?

So we moved this weekend. I thought I was organised. Guess not. The actual move itself was pretty smooth-sailing, except of course for the bits that Deane had anything to do with (ie: packing the stuff in his 'office' etc - he left it until the movers were there moving everything out of the apartment. I was at the new place by then, so for all I know, the movers did it for him...) The new place is great - so much more space, storage room, everything is great. Except there was no hot water (the electrician had failed to install a rather essential wire in the fuse box); our new fridge had a hernia the first night and threw the RCD so we had no power for a while, until we unplugged the fridge. Then we just had no fridge until the next afternoon; the downstairs bathroom sink had no cold water (turns out we just needed to turn on the tap thingee on the pipe under the sink - duh); the TV aerial can't pick up analog channels, and we've lost the remote for the Freeview box - still waiting for the aerial guy to track down a spare remote so he can reprogram the box for us. It would be nice to be able to watch TV again, even if its just to entertain the kids for a while.

At seven his morning, I was standing at the kitchen sink and saw the rubbish truck whizz by. In the hopes that they hadn't done our street yet, I went out the gate to check, and discovered some ::insert expletives here:: had smashed two windows in our car and ripped out the ignition. Oh, and yes, the rubbish truck had already done our street, so now I have a full rubbish bin for another week.

Once, just once, I would like to move to a new place and not have any problems. Is that too much to ask?!?!?

Deep, calming breaths...

The kids are loving the proximity to school. We're all enjoying the novelty of being able to walk across the road instead of having to drive. I stand on the corner and wave them goodbye in the mornings, and meet them on the same corner in the afternoons. They cross the road on their own. Hopefully soon I'll be able to say goodbye without leaving the house, and wait inside the gate for them to come home in the afternoons (and just secretly spy on them out the window). I don't think I'm quite ready to let go that much yet though. Baby steps.

Sadly, with all the craziness of the move etc, I didn't manage to finish the third panel on the Epic Aran Afghan. Happily though, I only have two repeats left! I may be able to get those done tonight (especially since we have nothing to watch) and get to blocking them tomorrow. I can't wait to see it all put together! Oh dear, I hope I can let go of it once its finished, I really do intend to give it away but I'm not sure if I'll be able to... Perhaps I can visit it every now and then, so it won't really be like its gone...

The Christmas tree is finally up, the presents are laid below, and I can see beautiful pohutukawas outside my window. I must get a photo to show you - in the next few days, I promise. It really is a lovely kiwi Christmas icon, the pohutukawa. Such striking red flowers! Very festive.

I hope your week has gone a little smoother than ours, and you're looking forward to the Christmas break. Just a few more things to do myself. The boys finish up at school next Tuesday, so I'm extra glad we have space for them to run around in now. And of course, the school playground across the road if they get bored ;-)

Enjoy the rest of your week!!

1 comment:

  1. Firstly, congrats on the move! Secondly, oh dear!!! You poor things about the car, especially! That happened to me when I moved - the rotters stole the speakers and smashed in the windows. I feel your pain.