- My new kitchen gadget - a spriralizer!! They were on special for $30 at Stevens (down from the usual $80 or so) so I just had to buy one. Yay for fresh, raw vege noodles!!! So far we've tried courgette, cucumber and carrot noodles, and I'm planning on branching out and trying different vegetables like beetroot and eggplant. It's also fun to experiment with different sauces to dress them in - so far I've tried a spicy tomato pasta sauce and a creamy avocado sauce with courgette, a peanut, coconut and lime dressing with carrot noodles, and last night's dinner was a lemon ginger dressing with cucumber and mint, with roasted broccoli and asparagus. Yum :) Look mum, all green!
- Cold brew coffee - so easy to make. I bought a packet of coffee filters so I didn't caffeinate my nut milk bags, and I made a small batch using my espresso grind Far East Coffee. It would probably work a little better with a coarser grind, so next coffee order I think I'll get one bag espresso and one bag plunger grind. I used this ratio to make it. Deane and I tried it just with cold filtered water yesterday morning with breakfast. It was a little weird and took some getting used to (I've only ever had hot coffee) but with summer coming, I think it'll be a regular feature in the fridge for iced coffees. I had an almond milk iced coffee this morning (1:1 ratio almond milk to coffee mix, with a tiny dash of vanilla and maple syrup). It was pretty good. Think I'll experiment a bit with cinnamon and stuff next. As for black coffee, I think I'll stick to the hot version. I do have a rather fabulous espresso machine in my kitchen, after all...
- Fresh berries!!! Yay for summer fruits :) Yesterday's breakfast was oatmeal with a dollop of coconut butter (which is also a new awesome purchase) and strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. Soooooo good!
- My new dumbbells. I've been wanting some of these for aaaaaages - I'm not a boot camp kind of person (plus its expensive) and I didn't like using weights at the gym. I've been pretty slack at strength training and toning over the last several months, which has resulted in that pesky runner's knee reappearing. Now I have a set of 4kg dumbbells for use at home, along with a backpack shoved full of towels (last time it was full of yarn, lol!) to use as a medicine ball/sandbag. No excuses now!
- Nike+ Training Club. See above point. It's weird, but I actually think I missed this kind of workout. I was reminded quite severely of how out of shape my muscles are last week. I did a 16 minute HIIT workout on Friday, and had very sore legs on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. It didn't feel too bad at the time and I jumped on my bike for 20 minutes straight after for some cardio (since I can't run) but wow. It definitely had an effect! I need to do this more often. I started a toning program using the N+TC app, and did a 30 minute workout on Tuesday using my dumbbells and backpack. Wednesday was a 15 minute dynamic yoga session (challenging but good). This morning was a 45 minute workout. Definitely feeling it, but not to the extent that I was after Friday's workout. It hurts, but it's a good hurt. My knee is feeling better, but not 100%. I'm going to keep resting it until next week just to be extra sure, then ease back into running slowly. I have so many runs I want to do over the summer and do not want to be sidelined with injury!
- Warmer weather - I've brought out my favourite summer skirt again, the one I bought in Thailand in 2010. Fashion? Bah! I do not follow fashion! I wear what I want ;) Unfortunately, it's been raining a lot lately (Spring is officially my least favourite season, particularly in Auckland. Too much rain! I never thought I'd say that...)
- My new bracelet - I grabbed a little bag of seed beads, some nylon thread and a small needle on Monday afternoon, suddenly overcome with the need to create something quick and easy. The result? This wraparound bracelet. FYI, it's impossible to 'model' a bracelet on your own wrist without looking like a complete spaz, so here's a random weird picture of my arm, just casually draped on the kitchen bench...
Update: bracelet snapped this morning when I was putting it on. Boo. Need better materials...
- Another A+ paper in the bag. Yes!! Just got the notification for the results of my third assignment yesterday - 90%. The other two assignments for this paper both earned 86%, so it's a guaranteed A+. Just waiting on the results of the last assignment for the other paper, which is averaging an A.
- Wellington Chocolate Factory. Recently devoured (over a few days) a block of coconut milk chocolate. So good! Not all their chocolate is vegan (the salted brittle caramel bar has organic butter in it), but most are. It's nice chocolate, ethically sourced and produced, and the artwork on each of the blocks is beautiful. Get you some!